Sunday 28 August 2016

Angel, Angel Fire, Angel Fever




By LA Weatherly

2.5/5

When I first read this series a couple of years ago, I absolutely loved it. The romance was epic, the plotline was intense and the characters were moving. However, after a recent reread (in which I only managed to get through the first book, Angel, before I gave up) my opinion has completely changed. Maybe it’s because I’m older now but ‘angels’ just seem really immature now.

As I have mentioned before, if I am reading a fantasy novel, I like for a new world to be created in which the fantasy creatures can exist. For example, Prythian in A Court of Thorns and Roses or the Shadow World in The Mortal Instruments series (I know it is set in New York but there is a fantasy world within the mortal world). When fantasy creatures exist just in the real world, I don’t connect to the story as well because it just seems so far-fetched. This is a reason why I no longer like this trilogy.

The writing style and the characters aren’t terrible. Willow irritates me a little but I can cope with her; Alex is totally gorgeous as are most boys in YA novels, but I really couldn’t connect with them. I don’t remember much about the second and third book but I know that Willow kisses someone who isn’t Alex and Alex kisses someone who isn’t Willow and this really doesn’t sit well with me as they spend the last part of the first book telling each other how much they love each other on every other line so why would you cheat?

This review is turning into a bit of a rant so I’m just going to end by saying if you like books about angels, the series is probably for you but if you don’t like books about angels, don’t read it. (Also, these covers are truly awful).

No comments:

Post a Comment